When I think of Percy Jackson, I think of many things. Greek mythology (obviously)…epic quests…talking pegasuses (pegasi??)…blue food…
Blue food began as a challenge for Sally Jackson when her abusive husband, Smelly Gabe, claimed it didn’t exist. From then on, she went out of her way to serve as much blue food as possible, from blue candy to blue chocolate chip cookies to blue soda. Blue food was a running gag in the series and has become somewhat of a Thing™ for Percy Jackson fans.
Because yesterday, August 18th, was Percy’s birthday – and also the ten-year anniversary of Kronos’s defeat! – I thought there was no better time to make something blue in celebration. And not just any blue food…
I can’t think of any better way to celebrate Percy’s 26th (!!!!) birthday than with blue cupcakes. And the best part is, they’re canonically ugly, so I didn’t have to worry about making them look too nice!
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
Note: I used vegan butter and almond milk for the sake of my dairy-free family members, and as usual, that seemed to work just fine!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a muffin pan with paper or foil liners. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well with each addition, then stir in the vanilla. Add the flour mixture alternately with the milk; beat well. Fill the muffin cups 3/4 full.
- Bake for 15 to 17 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Frost with your favorite frosting when cool.
Note: They puffed up a lot! Which I guess works since the cupcake that Annabeth gives Percy is described as “huge and misshapen.” This was all totally purposeful. 😉
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3 drops food coloring, or as needed (optional)
Note: Obviously I used blue food coloring!
- Cream room temperature butter with a hand mixer, the paddle attachment of a stand mixer, or a wooden spoon until smooth and fluffy. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar until fully incorporated. Beat in vanilla extract.
- Pour in milk and beat for an additional 3-4 minutes. Add food coloring, if using, and beat for thirty seconds until smooth or until desired color is reached.
Note: I ran out of confectioner’s sugar and had to reduce the recipe slightly, which means I didn’t have enough to pipe. But that’s okay, since we’re not going for beauty here! Also, this blue looks really light in this photo but I promise it was darker in real life.
So here they are, the completed cupcakes, iced and sprinkled. I think Sally Jackson would be proud. Also, they taste delicious.
Did you do anything to celebrate Percy Jackson’s birthday? What’s your favorite blue food?